Stupid Easy Comfort Foods (GF + Corn Free)
All these meals have only 3 required ingredients and only 2 steps to prepare! They’re full of flavor and just feel good.
The best part? They’re stupid easy to prepare!
When walking through grief, it seems to be feast or famine. We’re either drowning in casseroles (if you’re lucky) for a couple weeks or we’re staring at an empty fridge because we don’t have any energy to make it to the grocery store, or even order online, and why bother because we’re not really that hungry anyways.
Can you relate?
If so, I’m so sorry. I noticed that when we actually needed food, we needed something stupid easy to make and we needed something that kind of stuck to our bones. Here are 11 meals for those times when you can’t think of anything to make and when the thought of another frozen pizza makes you want to cry. 🙂
1. Carnitas Loaded Sweet Potatoes
- Whole Sweet potatoes
- Package of pre-Cooked Carnitas
- Optional toppings: cilantro, onion, salsa, cheese, black beans, sour cream
Throw one whole sweet potato per person right on the middle rack in a 350* oven. Bake for an hour until tender.
(Tip: Put a sheet pan underneath to catch any syrup that might drip out. I like to bake double so I can reheat and use for another easy meal the next day.)
Heat up already cooked carnitas from the store.
Top the sweet potatoes with the carnitas, cilantro, cheese, black beans and sour cream. So good!
2. Hatch Green Chile Chicken Bowl
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 1 small can of mild hatch green chiles
- 1 Tbs cumin
- Serve over butter lettuce and/or rice or quinoa.
Prep your rice or quinoa.
(Either make it yourself or just buy a package or two of pre-cooked rice for those desperate days.)
Cook your ground chicken in a pan on stove. Add can of chiles, cumin and salt to taste.
Serve chile chicken over rice or lettuce. Boom.
3. Loaded Hamburger Tots
- 1 bag of tots (we love Alexia Salt and Pepper)
- 1 lb of ground beef
- Optional toppings: ranch dressing and shredded cheese
Pop your tots in the oven and cook according to package.
Cook your ground beef, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Top the tots with beef, ranch, and cheese. Easy and comforting.
4. Crockpot Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken (I double so I can freeze extra and have on hand later.)
- 1 bottle of Italian dressing, Lemon Olive Oil dressing, or any dressing of choice
- 2 cans green beans or collard greens
- Rice or greens
Throw chicken in the slow cooker and top with bottle of dressing on low for 3-4 hours. It will just shred apart with a fork or tongs. Super easy and tender!
Heat up green beans or collard greens and a package of rice or quinoa.
Serve chicken and greens over lettuce or rice/quinoa.
Freeze any extra in ziplocs portioned by family meal or individual meals to make reheating easy.
5. Hawaiian Rice and Spam Bowls
- 1-2 cans of Spam, any flavor
- Calrose Rice or ready-made packages
- Furtakaki (a traditional seasoning of sea weed, sesame seeds, sugar, and other good stuff. Super amazing. Often found at Walmart, the BX, or Trader Joes.)
Prep your calrose rice in your rice cooker or buy already cooked microwave packages.
Chop your Spam into cubes and cook on stove to brown them up a bit.
Fix a bowl with rice, spam, and top with Furtakaki. Honesty, so mmmmmm. If you’ve never had this before, I dare you to try it! It may be the easiest tastiest thing you make!
Going to buy some Furtakaki this week and give that last recipe a try. Never had it and I’m so intrigued!! Thanks!!!
You’re gonna love it!!