Jamaican Rice and Pigeon Peas
Our favorite way to enjoy rice! Both salty and mildy sweet. A friend taught me about this dish when we were stationed in Florida.🖤
- A very big soup pot🖤
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, dried
- 2 tbsp butter, avacado, or coconut oil
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 cans pigeon peas
- Saute the onions in oil til soft and carmelized.
- Add rice and thyme to pot. Stir.
- Pour in box of stock, coconut milk, water, and pigeon peas. Stir.
- Bring to boil on high heat, stirring frequently so it doesn't stick to bottom of pot.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Scoot off of heat with lid on. Let rest a minute.
This is a BIG batch. We eat a lot of it, and then I like to have extra because it freezes well. This big batch left us with 3 generous quart sized bags for quick last minute meals later on.